Monday, November 28, 2011

Muffin Isle - Cheese Muffins

Originally I wanted to try making Japanese cheesecake. Since it is tricky and I have some cheddar in my fridge, I go for an easier option - Cheddar Cheese Muffin. 


I searched a few websites for Cheese Muffins... Quite a few websites use paprika, which I don't have at home. So I browsed Joy of Baking website - Muffin section. There is no cheese muffins recipe, but I did found a chocolate chips muffins. I used that recipe, with some adjustment, and baked cheese muffins! 


Cheese Muffins (Using Cheddar)
(adapted from Joy of Baking)


Ingredients
113 grams unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
240 ml milk
1/2 teaspoons vanilla crystal
260 grams all-purpose flour
50 grams granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
90 grams cheddar

make 12 muffins

Methods

  1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Position rack in center of oven. Butter, or line with paper liners, 12 - 2 3/4 x 1 1/2 inch muffin cups.
  2. In a large measuring cup or bowl whisk together the eggs and milk - wet ingredients. 
  3. In another large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla crystal and salt. Stir in the cheddar, left some for toppings. With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients, along with the melted butter, into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined. Do not over mix the batter or tough muffins will result. 
  4. Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter, fill about 2/3 of the cup. Then sprinkle a some leftover cheddar on each muffin. Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 18 - 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan. 
Result





My tester, i.e. husband, commented that it was a bit dry and not soft. I am guessing I over-mixed the batter and probably over-baked. Well, at least he loved the cheese (I used kraft cheddar). 


We are going to have it for breakfast tomorrow :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment